If you're anything like me, you have something you are trying to do. A goal, a dream, or just something BIG you want to accomplish. You may not know everything required to get it done, but you know you're not doing whatever it is. Instead, you choose to spend your time doing other things. Maybe you distract yourself for fear of attempting something new? Or maybe you just take your eyes off the prize in exchange for the shiny object of the moment. For example...
- Scrolling and scrolling for hours. TikTok happens to be my very own personal time-sucking devil. It's embarrassing.
- Netflix and chill (Substitute Netflix for Hulu, Apple TV, Prime, MAX, etc...any one of them can take you off of your path).
- Staying up too late.
- Waking up too late.
- Not operating with a plan. Just going with the flow.
- Not keeping a schedule or calendar.
- Not checking yourself on your smartphone addiction.
- Not setting boundaries by saying "No" to others when you need to say "Yes" to yourself.
- Being tempted by every deal or sale you see.
- Talking on the phone too much.
- Hanging out too much.
- Drinking too much.
- Not doing any self-care (ex. working out, meditation, you-time, massages, etc.)
- Not practicing self-control.
- Listening to clueless people.
- Allowing FOMO to get you off path...repeatedly.
So...What are you trying to do vs what you are actually doing?
Are you BS-ing around?
Are you distracting yourself because you're scared, intimidated, or confused?
Are you talking yourself out of your goals and dreams, or allowing others to?
Figure it out and quit it! Trying to stop everything at once can be a stretch. So try replacing one distraction at a time with one, tiny, goal-oriented task. And see the power that being a quitter can bring.